To answer your question faster, you can search our knowledgebase articles before submitting a ticket.
Our website traffic has increased and we are planning to upgrade/change the RPL's server. What I should do?
Posted by Alex A. on 05 January 2011 05:32 AM
Here is what you should do step by step:
- Make a backup of your Joomla database using your cPanel.
- Compress your files using cPanel with tar.gz format.
- Transfer the compressed file to the new server.
- In the new server cPanel, create a Mysql database with the same name as of your current one and restore the database backup of the current server over it. If you cannot crate a Mysql database with the same name as your current one, name it what ever you like and refer to step 5.
- Uncompress the compressed file using cPanel. If the name of the database is changed, open configuration.php file in the root folder of Joomla and set the database name to the new one there.
- Ask your hosting company to give you access via IP to ensure that everything is working fine.
- After you have made sure that everything is working fine, change the DNS of your domain to the new server.